Friday, October 14, 2016

Saying Goodbye

(I hate to start this post with a spoiler, but I wanted to make sure this doesn’t get lost in the post.)

Sweet Tucker did not survive the trial he was fighting. There was an outpouring of love and overwhelming concern for Tucker’s family during this time. Those who knew Tucker grieved his loss. Our sweet Handsome Pants. We hope this post has shed some light on the reality of Canine cancer. So many of our friends have dealt with trials such as this, we feel fortunate to have a community of friends to turn to when we encounter the unexpected and scary.

The following message was written by Tucker’s mother Diane: 

I feel very fortunate and lucky we were able to get Tucker his surgery and Chemotherapy treatments.   He was diagnosed in February 2014 and passed away in August 2015. He had a very aggressive cancer, which was unusual that it showed up on a limb.

Collage by Diane
 Hemangiosarcoma is a rapidly growing, highly invasive variety of cancer, and usually attacks internal organs like the spleen, liver or the right heart base.   It is a sarcoma that attacks the lining of the blood vessels; that is, blood-filled channels and spaces are commonly observed microscopically. A frequent cause of death is the rupturing of this tumor, causing the patient to rapidly bleed to death.
Tucker’s medical expenses - $13,758.90  

I want to express my sincere thanks to all my Instagram friends who prayed, sent cards and gifts.  All your support meant more to me than I can put into words.  I have all your cards in an album so that I can look back on these precious memories with a tear and a smile.


The remainder of Tucker’s veterinary visits and expenses:

4/14/15 – Visit to Mid-Atlantic Veterinary Hospital
RX Rimadyl  - $35.40
 5/11/15 – Visit to Mid-Atlantic Veterinary Hospital
RX Rimadyl  -  $35.40
 5/26/15 – Visit to Mid-Atlantic Veterinary Hospital
Exam and bloodwork  - $80.75
 5/26/15 – RX (60 Caps) Chlorambucil- $111.24  Wow the price went up!
 6/11/15 – Visit to Mid-Atlantic Veterinary Hospital
RX Rimadyl - $35.40
 6/24/15 – Visit to Mid-Atlantic Veterinary Hospital
Exam and bloodwork up.  - $101.65
 6/24/15 – RX (60 Caps) Chlorambucil  -  $111.24
 7/17/15 – Visit to Mid-Atlantic Veterinary Hospital
Medical exam, fluids, vitamin injection.  Tucker is not doing well.
Office visit - $150.47
 7/24/15 – Visit to Mid-Atlantic Veterinary Hospital
Tucker has been admitted to the Hospital for 4 days.  Complete work up, x-rays, bloodwork, ultrasound.  I visited with him every day and all he wanted was to be held.
Office visit - $916.68
 7/30/15 – Visit to Mid-Atlantic Veterinary Hospital
Exam and blood work.
Office visit - $103.42
 8/5/15 – Visit to Mid-Atlantic Veterinary Hospital
Exam, bloodwork, fluids, abdominal scan.  Tucker has been admitted to the Hospital.
Office visit - $743.82
 8/6/15 - Tucker is not doing well.  He has started with seizures and I know it time to make that heart breaking decision.  Tucker passed away in my arms this afternoon and I cried myself to sleep tonight.   I could not stop thinking what if I went with the amputation and radiation treatment?   Is this why I feel so guilty?
 8/17/15 – I ordered a glass bead made with Tucker’s ashes and I wear it every day.  Invoice - $143.10



We want to thank Tucker’s humans for the time and energy they spent supplying us with this information. We know it couldn’t have been easy.

Upcoming: Look forward to an update of how they’re doing and what’s changed in their family.

Questions: If you’d like to get in contact with Tucker’s family, or have any questions please send us an email, 
Facebook message us, 
or DM us on our instagram @Gracie_the_bichon

No comments:

Post a Comment